Saturday, January 17, 2015

Birth story

On January 2nd, 2015 my whole life changed in such an amazing way, I became a mother to the most gorgeous baby girl I have ever laid eyes on. Seriously she is so amazing, and I fall more in love with her everyday.

New years Eve I started to have pretty minor but consistent contractions, I really wanted to try to have her at midnight on new years day! But hey what mom wouldn't want that right? Anyways, we went to dinner with our friends Seth and Rachel Lasater, still having contractions but nothing serious. I was getting super impatient, we went back to my moms house and watched "Lets be cops", ate chocolate covered strawberries, and watched the ball drop. Still nothing happened, so my hopes of having a new years baby passed. I didn't even care, I was just eager to meet this little girl! I was up all night with contractions that were 7 minutes apart. I woke up Logan and we both decided to go to the hospital. When we got there they checked me in a room and checked my cervix and all that jazz. I was dilated to a 3 and 90% effaced, they told me they would check me again in an hour to see if I was dilated more and was in active labor.

An hour passed and they checked me once more, I hadn't had any changes, so sadly they sent me home. I was super bummed, and was still having uncomfortable contractions all day long. Later that night we went to Buffalo Wild Wings with all our friends, like we do every Thursday. My friend Kenna was determined to get this baby out, so she really wanted me to drink Castor oil. She said it worked for both her sister in laws. I was already in pre-labor so I thought what the heck lets do it! We went back to their house and I drank 4 ounces of Castor oil like a champ! It was horrible, but now it was time to see if this would really work! We went home around 11:00 and I was having pretty bad stomach cramps, which is what Castor oil does to you, and it is not fun! I tried to sleep through the stomach pain and eventually I fell asleep for about an hour. Around 1:00 AM my water broke, I woke up Logan and he jumped out of bed and got everything ready. I was completely shocked and couldn't believe I was going to meet my baby girl!

When I pictured labor I always thought I would be in the hospital for hours upon hours in pain and misery. That's how most first time labors go for women anyways, oddly enough that was not the case for me. I was in labor for only 4 1/2 hours! I had this whole idea and plan in my head of how my labor was going to go, I wanted to relax after my epidural and get some sleep, my friends and family would come and visit and chat with me for a little bit, and I wanted to have Kenna take birth pictures. I really wanted to document this whole experience, But my labor went so fast that there was just no time to do any of that, I didn't even get to rest at all!

We got to the hospital around 1:15 AM, they checked me and I was dilated to a 4. I started to have really really painful contractions, I mean they hurt so bad that I was constantly throwing up from the pain. My contractions were 15 seconds apart, and my doctor that was doing my epidural decided to take 45 minutes to get down to my room. I was in so much pain, but I held it together and fought through it. Finally my doctor arrived, and I was so relieved, I didn't even feel my epidural because I was having horrible contractions the whole time. Almost Instantly I felt relief, it was so amazing! I do not know how women do it natural! Now was the time I thought I could catch up on some rest and just relax. My nurse checked me and I jumped from a 4 to a 7 in 45 minutes which was pretty fast! they didn't even put me on pitocin or anything! But they said usually the epidural slows things down a bit and she would check me again in thirty minutes. Logan and my sister decided to go get some food because they were so hungry. My nurse checked me again and said "um where is your husband? Hopefully not too far" I told her they just ran to Mc Donald's to get some food. She told me to call them and have them get here pronto. I had jumped from a 7 to a 10 in 30 minutes! I couldn't believe it, it was all happening so fast! Logan and my sister got back just in time, I was in the middle of doing practice pushing, which they had to tell me to stop because the baby was coming and my doctor wasn't here yet!

Finally, my doctor showed up, and she was blown away by the fact that I was having this baby so fast!  I pushed for maybe 3 minutes and our sweet baby girl was here! It was crazy because I honestly didn't feel a thing while pushing. I constantly kept asking if I was even doing anything because I couldn't feel anything! The second I saw her I burst into tears. It was such a surreal feeling actually seeing her and putting it together that I carried her in my stomach for 9 months. I looked at Logan and his eyes wouldn't leave her, and he had the biggest smile on his face, and tears in his eyes. I was overwhelmed with emotions, and I was just so in love with my little family. They put her on my chest and I just held her and cried, tears of joy and happiness, Logan cut the umbilical cord and then grabbed my hand and we just sat there and soaked it all in.

The room exploded with all the family members, they were all so excited and happy that she was finally here! they took her and bathed her, and got her all cleaned up, and handed her back to me. I just still couldn't believe she was mine, she was the most amazing early birthday present I could ask for! Our birthdays are just 1 day apart, {sorry dad} I couldn't be more obsessed with her. Logan is the most amazing dad and husband, he is always helping me and just gushes over her all the time. I am so incredibly blessed to have the two of them as my family.

Tatum Nicole Vickery born January 2nd, 2015 at 4:57 AM, weighing 6 pounds 15 ounces, and measuring 19 inches long. She is perfect in every way, welcome to the world baby girl! we love you more than you will ever even know!


Post a Comment